Sunday 9 February 2014

What a difference a week makes!

Already I am beginning to feel at one again with my initial understanding of the module 2 handbook and the literature that I have started to read.  It's hard to believe that only this time last week I was what felt like being 'clueless' and most definitely apprehensive about the next stage of the journey.  As I wrote my blog last week, I made a conscious effort to focus on and utilise the coping strategies that I had highlighted within it - using the reflective journal, reading and allowing myself the initial freedom of head space in taking the time to process and go slow until I felt I could move onto the next paragraph, page, chapter etc.  Although I am still at the very beginning of this process, I do feel that I am further forward than last Sunday and that I have at least started to understand how I might be able to see my way across the 'black box' and I am confident (this week anyway) that I'm able to drive the bus!

Books that I have found to be really helpful in dissecting fear of the unknown and directing me onto the right bus route are:

Bell, J. (2009) Doing your Research Project, A guide for first-time researchers in education, health and social science, 4th edition, London: Open University Press

Fraleigh, S.H., Hanstein, P. (1999) Researching Dance, Evolving Modes of Inquiry, London: Dance Books

They are a straight forward read that can be picked up and put down whilst my mind processes the information.  Although I am only at the beginning of each book they have helped in my understanding and unravelling of thoughts.  I hope they may be of equal help to fellow MAPPers.

Thanks to Helen's advise, I have also looked back over my AOL's, this has been another helping hand in finding my way around the beginnings of module 2 and has steered me closer to developing a few possibilities for my research inquiry.  This is now my work for the rest of today and the week ahead, developing my reading and investigating the possibilities further. 

For those of us that respond to metaphors, analogies and various quotes I would urge you to treat yourself to a beautiful photographic book that I have just purchased from Amazon: Dancers Among Us, A Celebration of Joy in the Everyday by Jordan Matter.  It is packed full of beautiful photographs of dancers placed in everyday situations/images and the quotes are indicative to the image and most are very poignant to this stage of our MAPP journey.  I leave this blog with the following from the book which is relevant to our black box and bus journey analogies: "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive" Robert Louis Stevenson, "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" Henry David Thoreau.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, this is a great blog! I love your new wallpaper does this signify a new start in your journey? Did you manage to sort out the email alerts? - I think it has something to do with being in peoples "circles" I usually just google step by step instructions. I love your positive thinking and your quotes at the end - very true.

    I think this MA really pushes us out of all of our comfort zones in order to develop ones autonomous self. As I see it in order to be articulate in a research inquiry we must change the way we think through positive thought. From my own formative practice when learning an abundance of choreography, for example I had to learn over 4 full length production shows for this contract in a three week rehearsal period back in November in the midst of module one....!

    I couldn’t let my body enter a mindset of stress, through repetition, familiarity will occur and eventually the shows would marinate and settle into my system. The same is to be said from digesting the handbook now I have an overview of the module I need to learn the recipe for research! And learning what I learnt from Module One I will read more informative educational literature so I can really expand on my theories without them seeing so isolated and focused on my own train of thought.

    I to have ordered the books you mention above for my Kindle and I ordered some from the Palgrave Macmillan collection as I found Ruth Helyer’s very helpful especially Page 165 on "Autonomous Learning" and Chapter 5 on Work Based Projects. I will let you know how the others are:

    The Postgraduate Research Handbook by Gina Whisker

    Cite Them Right by Richard Pears and Graham Shields

    Doing Research by Gary Thomas (Pocket Study Skills)

    You seem to have a really great week I think embracing the journey and looking it as a positive is the best way for success and remember it was Buddha that said: "All that we are is the result of what we have thought".















    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie, it's so encouraging to be cruising along together and I feel really 'for' each other, which is a wonderful feeling to have in this very much 'dog eat dog' world. You are absolutely right, the MA is pushing us and I have no doubt that we will be all the better for it when we've reached the final day of our studies. I have already changed in my day to day thinking, teaching and just general understanding of the world around us. I think I notice more than I did before, that in itself has to be good. I did find the email alert with exactly as you've suggested by ticking the circles. I will look into the books you've suggested and add to my growing pile of texts! Enjoy studying, performing and generally developing yourself in every aspect of dance education and pedagogy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear, glad you're both settling in to this next module and feeling a little more comfortable with feeling lost : ) Great start to the week ahead, enjoy whatever it brings for you...

    ReplyDelete