Friday 27 September 2013

Hi to everyone who is reading this first blog!

My name is Amanda TOOMS-PEEL and I have just enrolled on the MAPP course as a 2013/14 'newbie'!  I think it's fair to assume I am somewhat nervous (extremely actually), but hugely excited at the prospect of what I'm hoping will be an enriching and life changing experience.

So, who am I? Well, I definitely fall into the mature student bracket as I celebrated my 50th birthday last July.  I am happily married (coming up to 25 years next year) and I have a daughter who will be 18 in December and is currently in her 2nd year of training at Bird College.  I started my working life as a professional dancer, back in the days when you had to work for so many weeks in graded theatres to complete your 'provisional equity' before being the proud owner of the 'full equity card'!  Whilst dancing professionally I also enjoyed choreography and spent many a contract either choreographing my own numbers or assisting.  This experience has been extremely beneficial to my career and I have received awards and commendations for my work.

My working life falls into two categories - I am Principal and co-owner of +Footsies Dance Centre; Footsies is an evening and Saturday dance school where I teach RAD and ISTD syllabi Primary through to Advanced 2, as well as non-syllabus classes every evening and all day Saturday. The school has been running for 21 years now and my co-owner/business partner is my mum Tracy. Students of the school have been successful in securing places with The Royal Ballet School, Stage schools, Vocational colleges and performing in the West End.  We are a school that enjoys taking part in Dance festivals and local community fetes, charity events and pantomimes.  In my other job (during the day) I am Director of Vocational and Artistic Studies at +Reynolds Performing Arts.  Reynolds Performing Arts is a vocational college in Dartford Kent.  I am deputy to the Principal and have worked for the college for 8 years.  My day to day routine is extremely varied ranging from teaching, employment of staff, student liaison, management meetings etc the list is long - in short my working week is 'exhausting' but I love it!

Until last Friday when I met +Helen Kindred, Debbie, Mary and Aggie (all 'newbies' like me), I had never set foot onto a University campus before and didn't really know what was expected of me.  I found the entire site quite invigorating and strangely peaceful.  Although I had spent the arrival journey feeling extremely nervous and apprehensive, once I had met with Helen and the other girls my nerves were calmed and I genuinely am looking forward to the next 'long' months of study.  Aside from the study, I'm also trying to get my head round a new laptop and all the IT that is required for the MA, this blog being one of them.  I'm not sure at this stage which is more daunting, Skyping, blogging or studying. However, one thing I am sure of, I'm ready for the journey, looking forward to the challenge and excited at the prospect of meeting new people. Plus the bonus of being a VERY PROUD owner of the Middlesex University student card - that has to be worth it!

I hope you enjoy my blog, I wish myself and all other MAPPers 'Good Luck' and I look forward to reading yours!

4 comments:

  1. So Exciting Amanda. Really lovely to meet you...Alas I still haven't got my Middlesex University Card! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise good to meet you too!

      Have you managed to join linkedin yet? I'm already a member but not sure who I need to connect with re Middlesex Uni - help??

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda Welcome! We are all thinking the same and in the same boat! It will be fine! I'm a member on Linkedin but don't know how to sync it either! Well done getting your blog up it took me a while as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4276460&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v

    for the linked-in discussion group..
    good to read all your blogs this week..officially week 1 for the MAPP tomorrow, will be posting more for you shortly!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete